Dynamic Storage Acess tools
This page explains how to access EMC-ECS and EMC-Atmos with different tools. Please refer to the general Dynamic Storage user guides, wich are available for both platforms. The following descpription is to be seen as a subset specifically to be used for DCS.
- EMC-ECS: CIFS Virtual Drive Explorer (with or without DCS-internal connectivity)
- EMC-Atmos: EMC Geodrive
These tools are platform-dependent.
EMC-ECS: Virtual Drive EMC-ECS CIFS tool
EMC-ECS: Internal/External DCS connectivity
There are two connectivity possibilites to reach EMC-ECS Dynamic Storage: Internal and External. Both possibilities are the connectivity basis for tools like the CIFS Explorer.The sweat spot is, that both ways are configured exactly the same way (see Dynamic Storage user guides) by directing the Dynamic Storage URL from the VM.
External: means that Dynamic Storage URL is reached via internet connectivity. That is the case if you dont have an edge gateway (internet connectivity) in your DDC in place or if you are accessing Dynamic Storage from a server outside of DCS. The limitation is the configured bandwith (e.g. 20Mps).
Internal: There is an elegant automatic way to to adress Dynamic Storage DCS-internally. When your DDC is equipped with internet connectivity (with an edge gateway),traffic addressed to the Dynamic Storage URL is routed directly to the EMC-ECS platform without leaving DCS environment. Benefits are better performance (internal 10GB links) and no usage of internet bandwith. Although being sent to internet edge gateway, traffic is reouted to Dynamic Storage and not send outside. The edge gateway is already configured for you, traffic adressed to Dynamic Storage is routed internally and not over the outside internet. In case of the EMC-ECS CIFS tool, you just have to configure this tool as described (target, credentials, etc.).
EMC-Atmos: EMC GeoDrive
Please download the software from Dynamic Computing Portal.
1) Start the installation of EMC Atmos GeoDrive and go through the menu steps as advised.
2) Choose the path where to install GeoDrive, as well as the Data Directory. Data Directory is used for local caching of data stored in GeoDrive. Therefore provide appropriate space on a local disk. Click Next to proceed.
3) Click Install to complete the installation process.
4) Click Upgrade to install the latest version of GeoDrive.
5) Click on Atmos Hosts to manage Atmos Host configured for GeoDrive.
6) To add a new host for GeoDrive click Add.
8) Enter the host name of the Dynamic Storage platform, i.e. ds11.swisscom.com, if you connect through internet or ds22.swisscom.com if you connect through the Storage Network and click <
9) Click on the button Test in order to test whether GeoDrive is able to connect to the Dynamic Storage Pool. If the connection has been successful click Close and then OK to save the configuration.
Optional: If you added a secondary NIC connected to the Storage Network, you have to add a static route as shown above.
10) Click on Add GeoDrive to map your Dynamic Storage Pool as a drive.
11) Choose the drive letter you want to use for GeoDrive and then click Next.
12) Select the host you entered in step 7 and click Finish.